Well guys it’s October now which, here in the South, pretty much translates into riding boots, plaid scarves, and everything pumpkin spice. I’m not going to be breaking out riding boots anytime so but I will CERTAINLY be indulging in some pumpkin-flavored goodness. There is a caveat here though… I’m currently on the Weight Watchers program, which is great because I’ve lost 15 lbs, but we are going into the WORST time of the year for being healthy. So this year instead of the traditional and delicious pumpkin pie, I will be busy making healthy pumpkin alternatives! I have compiled a list of some of my favorite ‘healthier’ pumpkin foods. (Click each item to link to the original recipe site!)
- Pumpkin Pie Smoothie – I love smoothies, and make them all the time. I love that it is an easy way to pack in nutrients and deliciousness with easy prep and clean up! I am obsessed with this pumpkin pie smoothie for the fall! It’s super creamy and tasty.
- Weight Watchers 2-ingredient pumpkin spice muffins– So these are 4 points, so it’s not like you can sit there and just snack on them endlessly (I know, life isn’t fair), BUT hey?! You can get a sweet pumpkiny morsel of Fall for 4 points! That’s not too bad!! My favorite thing about these is that they are SO, SO Easy to make.
- Greek Yogurt Pumpkin Bread– There really aren’t any words to describe this. I mean, look at the photos! This should really be on the top of your list this Fall!! In fact, I may make sure I put these ingredients on this week’s grocery list because it is just too good.
- No-bake pumpkin oatmeal energy bites– I make these all the time without the pumpkin, so what a good idea to add pumpkin in for the cooler months!! It’s such an easy and healthy way to get in some great nutrients and pumpkin flavor!
- Homemade pumpkin pudding– I never really reach for a pudding to snack on, but c’mon! This pumpkin pudding is irresistible. Again, similar to the smoothie, it gives you that great thick and creamy texture. It’s a great little dessert if you’re hosting a dinner party because it’s easy to serve and easy to whip up in bulk!!
- 40- Calorie Pumpkin Cookies– FORTY CALORIES Y’ALL!!! 40! As in, you can eat like 40 and still be in your daily allotted amount of calories. So, you’re welcome.
- (THE ORIGINAL) Pumpkin Spice Latte– Need I say more?
- Maple pumpkin scones-This is a great alternative to all of the pumpkin muffins and cookies if you’ve just over-done it on the muffin/cookie side of things. Scones are great to make at the beginning of the week and take to work for a snack, or grab in the morning with coffee for a quick breakfast. What better to get you in the mood for Fall than Maple pumpkin scones?!
- Pumpkin Spice French Toast– Honestly, whoever thought of doing this is someone I want to become best friends with because….YUM!! It’s great because you really don’t need to go buy a ton of new ingredients, just use what you have plus a little pumpkin spice!! Kind of makes me want to do an at-home brunch when the temperature gets colder!! To make this a little healthier swap out the bread with a lighter bread, and the syrup for a little bit of honey or agave nectar. (Sara Lee makes a great light bread if anyone else out there is on the Weight Watchers train, 2 slices are 2 points!)
- 3-ingredient pumpkin cookies– Again, I’m kind of a sucker for any recipe with less than 5 ingredients. This is another item that I’ve made before without pumpkin, and am now SUPER pumped that it’s easy to just throw pumpkin in and enjoy a nice Fall treat.
Alright guys, that’s my list!!! Now hopefully we can all eat delicious pumpkiny treats while also staying on track with our health!! What are some of your favorite pumpkin recipes?